Saturday, March 15, 2008

When 9M writes : QRX , QRT & Pull the big switch

USAGE OF QRX- QRX means 'I will call you again at...' or 'When will you call me again'. You usually say 'QRX one ( one second or one minute )....QRX 15 minutes I am going to make a cup of coffee..". Some literature defines QRX as 'Hold on a minute, I will be right back". The Wikipedia difines it as "Hold on a minute, I will be right back..".
It is recommened that you to mention QRX followed by the time frame. If you say 'QRX 10 minutes..." you must call the station you are contacting in 10 minutes time. Of course plus-minus 10 seconds. If you are not sure how long, you can say "Please QRX for a few minutes, I got a land line..." or "QRX for a while, I'll be back after I finish my job" .
QRX does not mean 'I am going QRT but I am not closing down the station'. In fact on phone several essays suggested that it is better not to use codes made for CW. If you want to sign just say you want to sign. You can monitor after signing. You can also go to fish market after signing. If you pull the big switch then you switch off your station. Sometimes you say '..see you again further down the log..'. Log can mean the logbook. His station will be the last station when you contact him. Then there will be another last station and last and last; further down the log.
Other words which you can use is 'please stand-by','hold on'. Or you can say ' I am signing but I will be monitoring'. Sadly enough now many Amateur members are using QRX to mean QRT and Temporary QRT. QRT does not mean 'closing down the station'. It means '...stop sending..'. Your radio can still be on. However, if you are closing down station you can say pull the big switch, your radio is off.
From 9M2AR

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I think this is a good and useful article.
I have a question. The article said: "QRT does not mean 'closing down the station'. It means '...stop sending..'. Your radio can still be on." So, what do I say, if I want to QRT and then off the radio and not monitor anymore.
Thanks.

Sooncm said...

Mcmc guideline provide both Q codes in CW and phone. I think it's not wrong for us to use Q codes during QSO but just the meaning like QRT and QRX are often wrongly or conveniently use. This article is good in explaining how we often miss use it.

as for the switching off and not monitoring, emm i'll say "pull the big switch" or "signing off"

9W2OBR said...

Thank 4 the info 9m2ar. yeah, when i was still a swl, got a few station teach me that qrx is u are still monitoring and not qso. but after a while, i found out that diferent. i tried to convinced others but the first one seems to stuck on the head must stronger. or maybe because i am still new. hehe. thanks again and please give us somemore info about other confusing stuff. qrt 73. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Hi again,

Thanks 9w2scm and hydir for sharing.
I also read that, eventhough some of the terms was used inacurrately, as long as both party understand, it is acceptable.

Appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks.

UNIARM said...

Anonymous,
QRT and shutting down rig would like to suggest closing station, or simply signing, switching off my radio or pull the big switch

9w2gu said...

Anonymous said...hi again,
--
I also read that, even though some of the terms was used inacurrately, as long as both party understand, it is acceptable.

Appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks.

March 19, 2008 3:17 PM
---

What about monitoring stations and SWL's? You have to remember, just because "both parties" understand others might not. Either use the right codes or refrain from using it at all. IMHO.